Admission Requirements for Study in USA, American Universities, Eligibility Criteria, Application Process, Procedure for Study in USA-
Following is the eligibility criteria for study in USA for mba, engineering, bachelors, masters and phd programs for getting admission into american universities:
Compared to other countries, admission procedures of US universities, schools, colleges and institutes are highly competitive for international students. The procedure is even more competitive in the top educational institutes. To earn admission in the top and high-ranking schools in USA you must have good grades, adequate financial support either by achieving scholarships or merit based financial aids, completed challenging coursework, and good command over the English language.
The academic requirements are as under:
- For undergraduate programs a student should have completed 10 + 2.
- For Graduate programs the students must have completed 16 years of education i.e. 10+2+4.
- Some institutes accept 15 years of formal education into their Bridge or Masters program.
- The student must have good scores in entrance exams like SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc….
- The language proficiency test scores should be --TOEFL score of 90 and above for Postgraduate and 80 above for Undergraduate studies. IELTS score of 6 and above for Undergraduates and 6.5 and above for Postgraduates studies.
- Strong recommendation letters and Certificate of achievement and extra curricular activity participation proof.
- The statement of purpose i.e. the personal essay should be such that it stands out amongst the lot of students letter.
- These eligibility parameters are what institutes in USA consider before admitting a student in a course.
It is normal procedure for international students to apply directly to their chosen institution. Applications can usually be accessed via the institution website. Typical applications require:
• Personal details
• Subject/ major/ course choices
• Education details (for example high school name, address and qualifications)
• Standardised test details
• Work experience (if applicable)
Materials usually required by institutions to accompany the application include:
• An application fee
• High school transcript or mark sheets.
• An essay or a statement of purpose(sometimes referred to as a personal statement this is a summary of why a students has chosen USA a country for further education and also reason for the course and institute selected. This is a very important document,)
• Original or certified academic documents demonstrating previous qualifications and grades (high school transcripts and/or predicted or actual examination results) — if documents are not in English, translations may be required
• Proof of English proficiency if not an English speaker (TOEFL, IELTS)
• Financial documents for visa purposes — financial information forms and bank statements/ sponsor letter proving you can pay for your education
• Two reference letters — an academic reference from one or two current teachers, plus most want a reference from a counsellor or school official
• Copy of passport
Additional materials may also be required. The above information is a guideline. Students should contact their chosen institutions for further information.
The Common Application
An alternate application method is the Common Application. The Common Application is a non-profit organisation, which provides an admission service for students. Students can apply to any of the 346 Common Application institution members using the same form.