The modern University of Trier (German: Universität Trier), in the German city of Trier, was (re-)established in the year 1970, starting with 360 students matriculated on October 15, 1970. The new University campus is located on top of the Tarforst heights, an urban district on the outskirts of the town. The University has seven faculties with around 470 members. In the year 2006 around 14,000 students had been matriculated, 43.5% male and 56.5% female students. The percentage of foreign students was approximately 15.5%.
In 1455, Pope Nicholas V granted the archbishop of Trier, Jakob von Sierck to establish a university in his town. The University of Trier was founded March 16, 1473. Battling with financial problems for decades, the university was acquired by the Jesuits in 1560. They emphasized the philosophical and theological faculties, while neglecting medicine and law. In the 1580s Peter Binsfeld was president of the university. In the 1730s Johann Nikolaus von Hontheim also was a faculty member. After the french occupation of the Rhineland, the French administration ordered the Universities of Cologne, Mainz and Bonn closed. The historical University of Trier was closed on April 6, 1798.
In 1970 the university was refounded as part of the twin-University Trier / Kaiserslautern, but in 1975 the partners separated and formed independent institutions. In 1977 the new university campus in Tarforst was opened. During the 1990s a former hospital complex was added, and dubbed Campus II.
The modern university still uses the seal of the historical university in its corporate design. It contains the Latin motto "Treveris ex urbe deus complet dona sophiae" (God completes the favors of wisdom from the city of Trier). In 2000 an alternative logo incorporating that seal was introduced, but this met with resistance.