IIUM is a unique university either in Malaysia or on a broader plane of the world. Since its inception English is used both as its medium of instruction and the language of its administration. It blends harmoniously modern and professional disciplines with traditional values and moral virtues. Its students originate from more than 90 countries representing nearly all regions of the world. IIUM has spared no effort to ensure that it provides the best tertiary education possible in all branches of knowledge. It scours the entire world to recruit accomplished scholars for its academic faculties. Its administrative divisions are manned by committed and dedicated professionals. Through generous support from the Malaysian Government, its facilities are kept up-to-date to the changing demands of the core business of the university such as teaching and learning as well as research and consultancy. Because of their holistic qualities through emphasis on commitment to ethics and moral values, graduates of IIUM have in-built added values that employers are looking in knowledgeable and skilful professionals.
Through its unique educational model of integration and Islamization of knowledge, IIUM unifies reason with revelation, science with religion and ethics with professional courses. Undoubtedly this is one place where great leaders of the future are being trained and nurtured to hone their potentials. It tempers the spirit of optimism with moderation. Its establishment in 1983 was a fulfillment of one of the major aspirations of the contemporary global Muslim community to regain the leadership of the Ummah in the quest for knowledge as encapsulated in its vision statement:
"To be an international centre of educational excellence which integrates Islamic revealed knowledge and values in all disciplines and which aspires to the restoration of the Ummah's leading role in all branches of knowledge."
IIUM operates under the direction of a Board of Governors with representatives from the eight sponsoring governments and the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC). It maintains links with governments and institutions all over the world, such as the League of Islamic Universities, the International Association of Universities and the Association of Commonwealth Universities. Through smart industrial linkages it develops opportunities for students to gain practical work experience that would be very useful in their future careers development.
Towards actualising the University's vision, IIUM endeavours :
* To undertake the special and greatly needed task of reforming the contemporary Muslim mentality and integrating Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences in a positive manner.
* To produce better quality intellectuals, professionals and scholars by integrating the qualities of faith ( iman ), knowledge ( `ilm ), and good character ( akhlaq ) to serve as agents of comprehensive and balanced progress as well as sustainable development in Malaysia and in the Muslim world.
* To foster the Islamization of the ethics of Muslim academic and administrative staff of IIUM, and certain aspects of human knowledge - particularly in the social sciences and humanities - with the view to making them more useful and more relevant to the Muslim Ummah.
* To nurture the quality of holistic excellence which is imbued with Islamic moral-spiritual values, in the process of learning, teaching, research, consultancy, publication, administration and student life.
* To exemplify an international community of dedicated intellectuals, scholars, professionals, officers and workers who are motivated by the Islamic world-view and code of ethics as an integral part of their work culture.
* To enhance intercultural understanding and foster civilization dialogues in Malaysia as well as across communities and nations.
* To develop an environment which instils commitment for life-long learning and a deep sense of social responsibility among staff and students.
The summary of the Mission should read as follows:
* Internationalization; and
* Comprehensive Excellence