The University of the Balearic Islands (Catalan: Universitat de les Illes Balears; Spanish: Universidad de las Islas Baleares) or UIB for short, is a Spanish university, founded in 1978 and located in Palma on the island of Majorca.
To find the origins of the establishment of the University in the Balearic Islands, we have to refer to the year 1483, the year in which King Ferran II authorized the founding of the General Lulian Study (from Ramon Llull) in the city of Majorca, the first real college on the Balearic Islands. This Centre was operational until 1835, when, after intense debate between the Spanish government and society Majorcan finally got abolished. Since that time, all pupils in the Balearic Islands who wanted to continue higher education had to move up Cervera first and then to Barcelona.
The Balearic Islands had no institution dedicated to teaching higher until 1949 when he returned to found the General Lulian Study under the auspices of the University of Barcelona, which for a time offered courses in philosophy and philology recognized by the University of Barcelona. In 1972 the first two modern sections for the science (depending on the Autonomous University of Barcelona) and the arts (attached to the University of Barcelona). These new centres settled in Son Malferit and in the old school of the Paüls, both in Palma, with a the law school at Edifici Sa Riera added later. In 1978 these schools segregated from their respective universities and created, along with the Normal School the University of Palma.
In 1983 began work on a new campus on the road from Valldemossa, in the municipality of Palma. This decision was not without controversy , some preferring the new campus to be in Palma, in Polígon concret de Llevant, close to the original location of the Faculty of Sciences. In 1993 campus located in Palma opened with at Ibiza and Alaior (Minorca).
In 1985 the name changed to the current University of the Balearic Islands. In 1990 the Official School of Tourism was added, the Faculty of Education in 1992 with the School of Psychology and the Polytechnic School coming in 2000.
Since 1996 the University has been dependant on the government of the Balearic Islands.